Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Today is my "golden birthday"

For those unfamiliar with the term, a "golden birthday" is when the person turns the age of the day they were born.  In my case, I'm turning 28 on the 28th.  Even though the timing is special, I'm taking a laid back approach to the day.  Around the same time last year I had a going away/B-day party at Ru San's put together by my lovely lady.  It was a ton of fun culminating with non-stop dancing at the aptly named 80's club "The Breakfast Club".  A lot has changed since then and we've been through the ringer several times as well, so all I want for this birthday is something low key. 

What I will do to commemorate the special day is set a goal for my next year of living.  Work, life, time and a myriad of other excuses have been used for my procrastination with writing.  Even though my day to day is of a technical nature, my true love has always been the written word.  Fearing abject poverty and hunger, I never pursued it as a viable career.  Yet I honestly feel unfulfilled by not exercising my right brain instincts. 

With that in mind, I have challenged myself to write at least 1000 words per day for an entire year.  A total of 365,000 words from birthday to birthday.  Either posted or written privately, I need to keep up this level of output just to prove to myself that I have it in me. 

This is the first time I've ever attempted this sort of thing.  All my fingers and toes are crossed in anticipation.  I have a year of possibility waiting ahead.  Wish me luck ;)

No comments: