Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Learning something new…

I'm not a math wiz or an economics expert by any stretch. I'm interested in current monetary issues because it affects me directly and I find economic systems intriguing. My overseas travel has made me keenly aware of currency valuations and the factors that cause them to fluctuate. Extrapolating from that starting point, I've begun digging deeper into world markets. To keep a narrow focus on your home country as the only means of monetary enrichment limits your growth. It also fails to take into account emerging markets from up and coming countries that finally got their act together. I'm not planning on playing global stock markets or invest in offshore real estate, but I'm always looking to expand my knowledge of the world. As the saying goes "chance favors the prepared".

In my research I've come across a fascinating blog - Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis. It deals with complex global issues in plain language that’s easy to follow. Since it's a personal blog there is opinion thrown into the mix, but overall I found it to be more about dollars and cents than a particular bias.

Two posts in particular were really eye opening from a local and global perspective. The first, "The Business of Walking Away" takes the current trend of consumers walking away from their mortgages and shows how businesses are doing the same. The second, "Things that 'Can't' Happen" goes into how firmly held "truths" are collapsing in the current economic climate.

Hopefully you'll find this as useful as I have.

No comments: